Tuesday, August 9, 2016

// thredUP //

As I struggle to get back into some sort of order after yet another cross-country move, I was presented with an opportunity to share a bit about a service that I use and in the process pass along some savings to you! I started sending my unwanted brand clothing to thredUP a couple of years ago in an effort to get a little credit for them to use on their site. I wasn't moving on trying to sell the items myself, and I didn't want to simply donate some of the things I knew could make me a little money, so it was a win-win situation for me to just bundle everything into a big bag and send it off!

And that is exactly how easy it is. You "order" a clean out bag (free) and decide if you want to take a payout or put your items on consignment. The first will get you your money quicker; the second will possibly earn you more but over a longer period of time. I go for the first. Now, to be completely honest, there were a couple of bags that I sent that didn't get me much credit. Like less than $10. Meh. Others have earned me closer to $50. Much of that depends on the brands, the condition of the clothing, and resale potential. You have a choice of getting the funds sent to you or using them as credit, and I always use it as credit. The reason behind this is that the prices on thredUP are not your typical thrift store prices. They run along the lines of consignment, which tend to be higher. So, I look for those hard-to-find pieces that seem to elude me at the thrift stores. I pay a little more, but I've found some really great items that are in like-new or new-with-tags condition, and ticked off those items from my mental "to-thrift" list.

Here's what I chose this last time when given the chance to shop specific brands in exchange for a bit of credit:


To start, I love the packaging. Fairly minimal and perfect for reuse! I chose a cropped black top by Express with a beautiful lace detail on the front, a black and white/gray knit poncho also by Express, and a pair of Gap mid-rise skinnies.


As you can see, the black top still had its original tags! That's always fun. Now, I don't tend to shop by brands, but I do look for quality, and I felt that each of these pieces was not only in like-new condition but with the proper care, would last me a long time. The poncho will be perfect for my first winter back in Michigan, the jeans are just a great basic to have, and the crop is something fun and different to try out in a color that is totally safe ;).  Here's a look at how I styled each piece:






Ok, just need to pause here to say that I don't normally include such obvious shots of my rear, but I was proud of how it looks in these jeans ;), even if they are a bit snug! And did I mention that I also got these booties from thredUP? Franco Sarto, dark charcoal leather and with a heel low enough to manage...love them!




Experimenting with a pleated silk skirt I thrifted for $4 over 2 years ago and STILL haven't worn! I love the top with this thrifted blue midi skirt also.





I couldn't find anything else I loved with this top (besides skirts) and it got me thinking of a dress I thrifted last year in Oregon that I am wanting to turn into a skirt...wouldn't it be AMAZING with this crop?!?!



Even if you don't decide to turn in any of your unwanted clothing, you can still find some super great deals today! Just use the code GAP50 to get 50% off your first-time purchases of Gap items! I won't earn extra credit for what you buy, so this is all for you. :)

My opinions are all my own, and I'll just reiterate, I love thredUP for finding those hard-to-find items: shopping online allows me to check whenever and search for specific items instead of counting on getting lucky on one of my thrifting trips.

Feels good to be posting and hope to make it a regular thing again. Getting my sewing space set up and though I've whittled down my refashion pile, I still have many good things to choose from. Here's to the next post being a refashion one!

Peace,
Andrea


















































2 comments:

  1. Hey Andrea! It's youngthriftedandblack from instagram!

    Awesome post! I've been eyeing threadUP for a while and was curious as to how it works. It sounds like a cool concept and worth using to find those unique pieces. I will definitely be using it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a sign of gratitude on how my son was saved from Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) , i decided to reach out to those still suffering from this.
    My son have been suffering from ADHD since the year 2016 and it was really tough and heartbreaking for me because he was my all and the symptoms were terrible, he always have difficulty with communication,and he always have problem paying attention . we tried various therapies prescribed by our neurologist but none could cure him. I searched for a cure and i saw a testimony by someone who was cured and so many other with similar body problem, and they left the contact of this doctor who have the herbal cure to ADHD. I never imagined ADHD has a natural cure not until i contacted him and he assured me my son will be fine. I got the herbal medication he recommended and my son used it and in one months time he was fully okay even up till this moment he is so full of life.ADHD has a cure and is a herbal cure,you can contact the doctor for more info on drwilliams098675@gmail.com on how to get this medication, Thanks.

    ReplyDelete