Thursday, August 21, 2014

Converse: Too Much Tongue?

So I'd bought these Converse on clearance at Marshall's around 2 years ago, and wore them once...and then they sat. That's never a good sign with shoes and especially not Converse, which are kinda my jam, when I want to throw a casual but cool element into a more girly/dressed up outfit. I also love them with boyfriend jeans and a T...or almost anytime at all, so yeah, they were grossly underused. But they had this tongue...

Now, it's kinda cool...I guess. Not so much for me, I decided. I don't want them to be so specific in what I'd be able to wear them with, the fold over tongue just isn't my thing. There is such a thing as too much tongue!

So, I chopped it off (in each shoe, of course).

And I tested out how it would look simply by layering the cutoff portion behind the remaining part...works for me!

Here's how it would look on the back.

I determined I'd need to shorten them about an inch more so that they'd be the perfect length.

Then I zigzagged around the edges, creating new, shorter tongues.

And now, they are just right :) I've actually been looking out for another pair of gray Converse to thrift or buy on clearance, but then thought, really? This is such an easy fix!!! Glad I came to my senses ;)

They still have the little snap button on the sides, which will stay as they are. And I haven't moved the label from the inside of the tongues, but I'll have to (as they scratch my feet a bit).


I can totally see this as a no-sew project if you've got a good fabric glue and fray check, too. Canvas shoes offer a lot of possibilities in the way of refashions: paint, markers, cutting away, blinging up, dyeing, bleaching...whatever you can dream up! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Refashioning!

Peace,
Andrea

6 comments:

  1. Make some cute bows or flowers and put 1/2 of a snap on them. Then, you could customize them as your mood dictates! :D Nice simple fix and I'm betting you'll get a ton of use out of them now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great ideas, Terra! Definitely getting more use as I've already worn them ;)

      Delete
  2. This was a great read! They turned out fantastic, so much cleaner and classic!

    Silvia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thank you, Silvia :) I appreciate you stopping by!

      Delete
  3. Hmmm... yes, that was a bit too much tongue there! Love the new look, plus there's that stud on the side that gives it a cool factor.

    ReplyDelete