Saturday, September 6, 2014

July/August Thrift Scores

Seeing as creativity and inspiration for refashioning have been eluding me, I thought I'd gather together the pieces I grabbed in a bag sale at the end of July/beginning of August. Each came out to about $.27 and not all are pictured here, but you caught sight of a few of the pieces in these three posts {stripes+florals here, eyelet lace here, & tribal no-sew skirt here}.

Notice a theme as you glance at these pieces? LOTS of black...not sure why but I just grabbed pieces that I thought had potential and threw them in the bag ;). Every single one of these pieces is a refashion waiting to happen...some will have small changes to fit, such as the top row. The middle dress will probably just get a better fitting as well, and the rest, well, we'll see!

This batch is more of a mixed bag...ha! Yeah, I know, lame bag joke ;). Top left is a Banana Republic oversized sweater (perfect!), the shoes are from Target and my size (this rarely happens), the jeans will be skinnified, or perhaps refashioned...not so sure yet. The striped cardigan will get a better fitting, and the striped top will stay as is. The skirt is vintage and has sewn in muslin shorts!!! Perfect for wearing while riding my bike :). The two silk scarves will be added to my collection and may find their way into a future project.

I didn't have a chance to do much more thrifting in August as this bag sale happened just prior to them closing down shop for a month to clear out and restock...still waiting for them to reopen! But I did pop into the nearest Goodwill one weekend when we'd rented a car for a lake house getaway. I picked up these four pieces, and the leather purse that has been featuring heavily in my IG OOTD posts (Instagram Outfit Of The Day) lately.

The dress is a Diane VonFurstenberg dress that looks to be from the 90's? and will either be resold or refashioned. The jeans are Banana Republic, high-waisted, olive and need to be skinnified. The top jacket is charcoal gray and I love it. The bottom jacket I am not too sure about...yet. It's H&M, very cheaply made and will probably only last me this one season. Impulse buy! Hopefully it works out, though. All told, I spent under $30 for these four pieces and the purse. Definitely not as good a deal as the bag sale ;).

I'm currently in the process of clearing out my sewing space, reorganizing my stash, pairing down my closet and will hopefully make myself start posting the items I'd like to get rid of to my Instagram shop.

I'd love to hear your feedback, not only on my thrift score, but with any inspiration you can share for some of the refashion pieces...anything you'd love to see me make? Want a tutorial on how to do it? Let me know!

Peace,
Andrea

5 comments:

  1. What goodies! I love the print of the dress in the last picture. Unfortunately I have no ideas for refashioning anything. If you are looking for a post idea, though, would you still be interested in doing something on hairstyles for longer, thick hair? Mine is only shoulder length but I am considering letting it get longer again. However, there is just so much of it. Would like to try something new. If you're trying to focus on refashions only, I completely understand - there are only so many hours in a day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep thinking about hair tutorials and kind of pushing them back on the list...wanna do it, so I just need to make the time! :) Thanks, Jenny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'm thinking hair tutorials would be fairly time-consuming, especially since they'd need to be done in one sitting, whereas a refashion could be done and photographed in stages. No worries, Andrea - whenever, if ever, it's all good :)

      Delete
  3. OMGWhat a steal..l love the jackets...so jealous , you find awesome stuff The dress would make a better skirt in my opinion..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm feeling you on the dress to skirt...I just can't like the top half! Though, I know some people would adore it ;) Let's see if I go that route!!!

      Delete