Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Eyelet Lace

This is another of the pieces I picked up in the bag sale, and was therefore only $.27. :) It's an eyelet lace skirt with lining by GAP and being 100% cotton is a perfect summer piece. But I don't wear white skirts, or even this style of skirt...they're just not my thing. But the beautiful eyelet lace is what this piece is all about.

I started out by removing the lining from the outer layer of fabric, keeping the waistband attached to the lining so that I can wear it as a slip. I simply trimmed the outer fabric as close to the elastic waist as possible.

I then laid out the eyelet skirt, found a top that I like to use as a template. I wanted to make this skirt into a light summer top!

I marked the lowest point of the scoop neck and the shoulders on the back of my 'top', folded it in half and cut out the scoop, then cut a more shallow rounded neck for the front of my 'top'.

I also marked the arm openings and cut using my pinking shears. I then basted my shoulder seams, tried it on, and pinned the sides where it needed to be taken in. After sewing up the side seams, trimming away the excess and finishing off the shoulders with french seams, I got to finishing off my arms and neck. I decided to use a leaf motif decorative stitch for the arms, and a simple straight topstitch for the neckline. I pressed all of my new hems/seams and was done!

It's just so pretty, isn't it? ;) I roughed up the prettiness a bit with some distressed denim, then threw on a bunch of thrifted/boho jewelry and my thrifted mocs. And you wanna know something really cool? It's reversible! I can wear it with the scoop in the front and it juuuuust sits high enough. But I definitely prefer it this way. It does seem to pull a bit under the arms, looking at the pics, so I'll probably open up the arms just a smidge.

I got to wear it for most of the day, but when we decided to bike to the park, I changed into something more suitable for that...leggings, t-shirt and a chambray shirt! It's been kinda chilly here in New Jersey the past couple of days (considering its late July). Or, maybe I'm just a wimp ;).

Also, I've been looking through my stash (not sure if you noticed that in the background of my photos...) and I'm coming up with a couple of scrap-busting easy projects. Stay tuned for those and many other refashions to come!

Peace,
Andrea

14 comments:

  1. This is lovely. Really cute and such a great refashion!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thank you, Helen! I appreciate you coming by and your sweet comment :)

      Delete
  2. I am a sucker for white and for lace, so I love this top. It looks so nice with jeans, too. I think this is straightforward enough so even I could make one.

    I can't wait to see what else was in that bag of goodies! Ideas for scraps always interest me, too - looking forward to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should try one, Jenny, I'm sure you could do it! As always, thank you for stopping by...new projects will start up next week!

      Delete
  3. You keep amazing me with your REfash journey. This is a little more involved once again. I love how you cut a pattern from a top as opposed to going and buying a pattern. Thanks for sharing the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Karen :) I prefer using clothes I know fit and I like how they look...buying a pattern involves money and chance ;)...well, I guess refashioning involves chance too, but the kind I like!

      Delete
  4. This turned out very cute!

    Igetmycraftyfrommymama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Marissa...off to check out your blog :)

      Delete
  5. Just. Perfect. I don't know how you manage to do it every time- perfection!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you are too sweet, Gema :) But I like ya that way! Thanks so much!

      Delete
  6. I just discovered your blog today, and you are my new hero! I'm just starting at refashioning - tshirts into dresses, skirts, and tops for my daughters, and you have inspired me to maybe try something for myself. Thank you for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome, Elke!!! I'd love to see what you create...both for your daughters, and as you venture into making for yourself :) Welcome, hope you gain inspiration from what you see.

      Delete
  7. This is one of my favorite refashions on/from you! It's so simple and yet so beautiful and feminine. I love it! I like that the color, too, will lend itself well to just about everything in the wardrobe. Looking forward to seeing it paired with cute pants and skirts in future pics!

    (This is the 3rd time I've had to write this comment! Blerg!!! For some reason, my comments get dropped a lot. :( (not your fault-I'm just irritated. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww :( what's up with blogger dropping comments?!?!? You're not the only one this has happened to, Terra, and wish they'd work out whatever bugs are making it happen. Moving on...thank you!!! I've worn it twice again, already, and am loving it...I post on Instagram outfit photos that I don't necessarily blog about, so you'll see it there from time to time if you're on ig ;)

      Delete