Monday, July 7, 2014

Tribal Print Again

So I seem to be on a bit of a tribal print and floral kick lately...but they're just so fun! But a quick look at my thrifted OOTD...thrifted silk pants turned blouse (here), hand-me-down bathing suit refashion (here), thrifted jeans cutoff, and simple black sandals. Easy, breezy, and just the right amount of leopard ;).

Now, for the refashion. I started with this thrifted dress I picked up for $4 (I believe).

It's actually very cute, fits me perfectly, and I could have left it, but I felt like messing around with the flexibility of this dress. I pulled out my seam ripper separating the bottom from the top and got to finishing off the bottom as a skirt. I created a waistband by using a tie I'd cut off of a previous refashion (jersey knit dress), ran some elastic through it and then closed it up (having measured my waist) to make a loop. I then zigzagged it right sides together to my already gathered skirt. Simple as that!

Here's the skirt.

That left me with the top. I took a 1/4 inch wide length of elastic, zigzagged it to the bottom edge of my bandeau top (again having measured how tight I wanted it to hold) and folded the bottom under and zigzag stitched again to finish it off. Here's how it looks.

Now that I've got two pieces, I can play a little more with how I wear this. This is to show the bandeau top and skirt separated...

As a dress, still, if I prefer...

Or as a skirt (though I'm wearing the bandeau top here under my blouse)...

And I will be able to wear the bandeau top under other tops or alone with a different skirt. Either way, I like that I have a few more options with these two pieces than I did with the one :).

How about you? Do you cut into perfectly good clothing just to make it something more? If not, maybe you should give it a try ;). Hope you enjoyed this one. Happy Refashioning!

Peace,
Andrea

4 comments:

  1. very creative!! I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ardy! Thank you for your comment :) and for stopping by!

      Delete
  2. Great idea! I have to say I so seldom find something to fit me that I would never, ever cut into it! Maybe that will change as I get better at altering garments. I think you must be in the advanced class of this refashioning business :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not advanced...lot of sewing technique to learn to even begin considering myself advanced! But I am much less afraid to cut into things now :) Confidence definitely comes with experience, so keep at it.

      Delete