Thursday, April 30, 2015

// #thriftstylethursday // Thrifting on Trend

Ok, so this week is a bit of a cheat for me. The main piece in my outfit was NOT thrifted... Phew! Glad I got that off my chest ;).

So, when I checked the theme for this week and saw that it was Thrifting on Trend, I thought, hum. Do I know what the current trends are? I don't often (read never) read fashion magazines (or any for that matter) so I headed over to Pinterest for a look at styles I'd been pinning and searched spring 2015's fashion trends. Here's what I learned: Black & White, Yellow, Gingham, All White, Shirt Dresses, and Sneakers are some of the main trends to look out for this spring. Well, fancy that! If you follow me on Instagram, then you'll know that I hit on 3 of those trends all in one go. So, I decided I'd use yesterday's look for today's post. Perfect! Another cheat? Nah.

First up: Black & White
I don't know if you've noticed, but I'm a big fan of black and white. It's simple, basic, but can also be bold and fun. The black and white of this dress was an easy yes, for me. It could be accessorized with bold punches of color, or with subtle blacks and browns as I did with my styling.


Next: Gingham
Gingham isn't a pattern I own, apart from this dress. So, hey! New trend for me (which we will be seeing more of in a few weeks here). It's a simple, basic pattern, which can be treated as a neutral depending on its size and color composition. Again, here, I let it be the main focus.


And last: Shirtdresses
I own 2 or 3 shirt dresses but don't often wear them as they aren't quite the right fit or I'm not convinced on how to style them. This one is an exception for sure. It's got a fit and flare shape, which is flattering, and stays nice and buttoned up without any weird gaping to show my undies. Definitely a fan.


The breakdown: So, as I confessed earlier, this dress is not thrifted. However, it was purchased at DEEP discount! Originally $138 at Anthropologie, I paid only $9.95. It was lucky timing, and thanks to a coworker who passed it my way as I was trying on clothes. Talk about building up good karma ;). Hopefully I'll be able to return the favor soon! The belt is thrifted and cost $2, my shoes are from Target and were around $25. The earrings I'm wearing were on sale for $2.50 and if you notice below, I had a couple extra thrifted items included in my look as well! For walking to and from work, I wore my swap meet Minnetonka moccasins that were free (just needed a good cleaning), and my thrifted sisal bag that cost around $5-$7. Overall, a very thrifty look! And incredibly on trend, which is not always the case ;).


Now be sure to head over and see what other trend spotting you can do by clicking on each lady's pic! Can't wait to see what they come up with. Lots of love and happy thrifting!

Peace,
Andrea





12 comments:

  1. You definitely nailed a bunch of those trends in one go! I love this dress, it's very cute on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this - the denim jacket goes perfectly with the outfit. Also, the main piece of my outfit this week wasn't thrifted either, but I think adding in thrifted pieces here and there still counts!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved your outfit this week! Thanks for the reassurance ;) It didn't feel much like a cheat since I got it so cheap!

      Delete
  3. This outfit is so adorable, polished, and chic! I don't think I've ever used those three terms all together for one outfit before. :o)

    JJ
    www.dressupnotdown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, aren't I lucky! haha! Thanks for the lovely compliment :)

      Delete
  4. From $138 to $10 is definitely thrifty, even if it wasn't thrifted. Still counts! I love the way you mixed so many neutrals and at the same time created an outfit with a lot of visual interest. Great outfit!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Carissa, I really love this look, and am glad you do too! It was such a steal!

      Delete
  5. Envy. That is all. I LOVE LOVE LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Definitely cuter than the shirtdresses I've seen in other decades :) Great price. Fabulous.

    ReplyDelete