Monday, March 31, 2014

Black Silk Tent: Refashion #3

Happy Monday! Mine started out poorly so I'm working on turning that around...and finishing up a refashion definitely helped my mood :).

Let's take a look at how I decided to use this last leg from the black silk tent pants. First off, it's going to be a top. I could have made a skirt with a gathered elastic waist, but I wanted something that I'd be sure to wear often. So, I started by unpicking the leg's inseam by about 4 inches. This will be my neckline.

Then, I trimmed up the straps a bit, and tried on my 'top', pinned in the sides and took them in creating an a-line shape. The scrap of fabric in the first shot is just to show the angle at which I stitched down each side. You'll notice that the seams are actually more towards the back, and that is to flow better with the sides which will become the armholes. I trimmed off the excess, and zigzagged the raw edges to finish.

Then, I finished off the raw edges of the straps and back by repeating the same process that I used on the other top for a baby/rolled hem. Worked like a charm :). The leg hem was still intact, no work there. I pinned the straps in the back, determining where they'd best cover my bra straps, and then sewed them in place. Next, I folded the neckline under to see if the V would work.

I finished off the neckline by folded the edges under and topstitching in place. Now, I've got an easy V-neck tank top (that looks much better tucked in the front).

But, I still had that original waistband left over. I quickly stitched the bottom of it shut again, and then buttoned it around my waist, and now the top is much less casual and definitely more figure flattering. Love it!

I'm definitely a fan of black, and the good thing is that I've got plenty of colorful skirts, shorts and pants to mix and match with these last two tops. Can't wait to be able to wear them! At least the rain has stopped and the sun is shining brightly today.

Here's a look at the before and after:

And, a quick review of the before, after, after & after!

Can't beat three pieces for $4, can you? Well, maybe you can, but I'd say I did pretty well ;). Hope you are enjoying good weather and good health...gotta get back to my spring cleaning (looks like our apartment exploded, but its all for the good as we purge and organize). Happy Refashioning!

Peace,
Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Brilliant revamp! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well that does it... I'm THROUGH with refashioning... until I can find ONE garment that can be transformed into THREE, I just don't think I'll be able to lift my pinking shears. PAH!
    Seriously though, I'm so impressed by the way each of those pieces you've made look so...expensive. Like haute couture expensive... #Impressed #ThatIsAll !! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, not a common occurrence to get three out of one, right?! I was pretty stoked :) AND thank you for thinking they look expensive as each one only cost me $1.33 in the end! Score! Your comments always brighten my day, Gema, so thank you for taking the time.

      Delete