Saturday, May 10, 2014

Vintage Pink & Blue Floral

I've been lucky enough to find a few homemade vintage pieces at my local thrift store in the last couple of months. This one in particular was a favorite...

The only issues I could see with it was that there was some discoloration around the neckline and facing, and the neckline itself was a bit high and constricting. Otherwise, I loved it and had no plans to change anything else about it. So, I cut away the neckline and down by about 1 1/2 inches. I then used some scrap fabric to create a new facing for the now lower neckline and sewed it into place. (No breakdown on making the facing this time, sorry!)

After checking the hem, I decided to let it down gaining 4 inches making this 'tunic' long enough to be a dress. There was still about 5/8 left over to hem up and a little bit of lace hem tape finished that off. Add a skinny belt and some flats (not pictured) and I've got myself the sweetest little vintage floral dress ever! Love the button detail on each sleeve :).

The even better news is that I can still wear this as a tunic with skinny jeans or leggings, I can wear it with or without a belt, and it looks great. I fixed up a few other minor things with some seams coming apart at the zipper and elsewhere, but all in all, this was a pretty quick fix. And the facing was a snap since I'd just learned how to make one with my recent 'scrubs' top that I made from a pattern ;).

Tomorrow I'll highlight another such homemade dress, but this time, it's undergoing some pretty major changes! So make sure to check back on that :)

Peace,
Andrea

4 comments:

  1. Nice job - another great piece for spring/summer. You're on a roll!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I love how it came out! Currently obsessed with florals ;)

      Delete
  2. That's just beautiful! I was wondering how you'd let it down- great there was enough hem to work with...now you've got the perfect summer dress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Gema, yeah, lucky the hem was so generous!

      Delete