Sunday, June 29, 2014

Tribal Dress...Crop Set...Peplum...T-shirt?

I started with this tribal 'dress' (though I would not have been able to wear it as one). Picked it up in Michigan for a couple of dollars and figured I'd do a simply refashion that I could post about while there...


so, I chopped it in half!

Then added an elastic band to the bottom section (folded inwards) to make it a skirt. It was still a little too tiny for my taste.

So, I brought it home with me. I cut the 'skirt' straight across the middle, cut away the side seams, then sewed each equal width section to another creating a loop. Here it is folded over, but the idea was to gather the top edge and reattach it to the cropped top portion to make a peplum. Which I did.

Gathered and reattaching it...

But I didn't like it. So, I thought, how about a peplum with pleats? I tried it. I folded the loop creating two large pleats in front and back, then reattached it.

And I didn't like it.

So, I reduced the size of my loop (after cutting it off from the now even shorter cropped top portion), and reattached it making this a fitted t-shirt.

But I also added thin elastic where I sewed the top and bottom together...so that I can simply fold the bottom under smoothly and wear it as a cropped top!


Should've been simple enough to chop the length then add elastic at the ribcage to get the final product...but why do things the easy way? ;)

Whew! Now that I'm done with that, I can move onto some more complicated refashions ;). I've got a few fun things lined up, including a cropped jacket I've been posting about over on my ig account. Hope you all have enjoyed your weekend! I'm ready for week two of 'summer break'...well, I will be once we sign the boy up for camp tomorrow and pick up our pool passes!!!

Peace,
Andrea

2 comments:

  1. But you got the cool double pattern of arrows by doing it your way, and that adds something to it - shaping? definition? Something!

    Oh, I am so very glad it's not just me who runs into problems!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, thanks for seeing the 'reason' behind why it went the way it went ;) yes, the double pattern definitely defines the waist better...ahem, or something like that!

      Delete