Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Lace Cutout Skirt

I'm composing this via the mobile Blogger app...so we'll see how it goes ;).

For one, I can't figure out how to change the alignment from centered to the left...maybe I'll figure that out by the end.

Anywho, I found this lace pencil skirt months ago and had planned on doing a simple alteration to the size. Well, I do address the size issue but I also decided to do something I've seen others DIY and have been planning on trying.

I started by cutting away the lining at the bottom of the skirt as close to the seams as possible. I removed about 4 inches from the bottom hem up and finished off the raw edges with a simple zigzag stitch for now. My son was pulling me out the door to the park, so I'll hem the bottom edge with a cleaner finish later on.

I followed by sewing a straight stitch up each side about 3/4 inch in from the original seam. I trimmed off the excess and zigzagged the edge to finish.

And that's it! I achieved the cutout look I desired, which adds a little extra sexy to a fitted lace pencil skirt, without losing the length.

What do you think? Is this a 'trend' that still translates as 'classic' in this piece? 

Here's one last look at the before and after:

Peace, 
Andrea

P.S. Did you notice the change in paragraph alignment? I didn't actually figure out how to change it...that happened on its own ;).

14 comments:

  1. Loved this simple but very appealing refashion. WELL DONE. It brought back memories of a dress I made to wear to an Australian Day ball in the early 1980s. It was a who's who event tickets cost AUD $250 each which back then was a lot of money. I made a long gown with chiffon type skirt and the lining underneath was short about mid thigh. Black and electric blue were the two colours of the gown. I really think this style is classic but sexy also. Well done to find a skirt made in the USA.. Karen at http://ruderecord.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen :) I'd love to see a pic of that dress! And I hope the ticket price was worth it :) Thanks for stopping by...

      Delete
  2. Ooooh how i wish I had a photo to show you. It was in the days before fb and blogs and I was bringing up children and had limited time to sew let alone remember to take a photo. That dress was long ago donated to an opportunity shop. I wonder it it is still worn by someone today? Yes $500 was well worth it, we had a great time hob nobbing it. Great food, a swing orchestra, fantastic venue and service. It was a one off and memorable. Danced all night and I love to dance. At the time we were taking ballroom dance lessons so a big band was awesome. We were first up on the dance floor and probably last to leave the dancefloor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad on not being able to see the dress :( but your evening sounds perfect! I also love to dance (salsa, merengue, bachata, cumbia) and have been missing it dearly as there isn't really anywhere within our area that we could make it to on a rare date night out...HOWEVER, it is still on my goals list for the hubby and I to discover a place because that's how we met...dancing :). And its great exercise!

      Delete
  3. Love love love it! I love how it started as a boring and maybe a little bit frumpy skirt and now it's sassy, sexy and figure friendly! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sugar System :) I agree! I love the transformation for the same reasons...fit really is key with this one!

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous refashion. You took it from "fine, but a little blah" to ooh-lah-lah! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog! Love this skirt.. wish you lived by me.. I'd be a regular customer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you know that I'd love to have customers!!! :) thanks, Emily...I'll give you a heads up the next time I get home to visit and we can meet up...and maybe fit in a refashion. I travel with my sewing machine ;) lol

      Delete
  6. Hello again!! Apart from the fact this is a great tutorial for just making a skirt a 'wiggle' skirt (!) - it also gave me the inspiration I needed to finish my lace refashioning - so THANK-YOU! I've mentioned you (and this post) in my blog; http://www.sequinsandslippers.com/2014/04/and-breathe.html xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE your dress!!! Do you know that I have a black lace pencil skirt pinned on my refashion ideas pinterest board with a hem exactly like yours...following the pattern of the lace! And I've been going back and forth on whether or not I should take out the existing hem and try this, so basically I'm gonna do it :) Thank YOU for the inspiration in that direction, Gema. Seriously, lovely dress and thank you immensely for the mention!

      Delete