Friday, January 24, 2014

Green Granny Silk

Oh yeah! It's another granny silk top that I found at my local thrift store several months back that makes a complete 180 and may now be my favorite top. I know!!! I just love it :)

Ok, here's where I started. Cue the boxy "old lady" silk top in a lovely green (my favorite color):
When I use the phrase "old lady" I'm only referring to a style, not an age group :-)
It's really quite bad...my son even described its very large sleeves as bat wings (who knew he had so much fashion sense?). It's a size 14 (I believe) and in perfect shape...errr, well, condition, aside from the fact that it needs a good pressing. What does need to change is the shape; too boxy, too big, but it has potential.

First things first, I seam picked those sleeves off and then resized them, trimming off the excess fabric and finishing off all of the raw edges with an overlocking stitch:

Next step was to reattach the sleeves, and upon sewing them into place, determine how much of the body of the shirt would come in as well. I basically gave it an A-line shape by taking it in from the sleeve armpit tapering out as I sewed towards the hem (again, cutting off excess and finishing all raw edges):

Last step was to change up the cuffs! I wanted them to be slimmer, and the double button closure allowed for me to remove a strip from the cuffs to make into sleeve straps:

Now, the plan was to attach the straps to the inside of each sleeve so that I could then roll up my sleeves and they would simply button on the outside holding them up, but in the end I decided I didn't want to do that to this top and am saving the straps for something else :)

Here's how the reshaping turned out! (Oh, and I did iron this one, which makes such a difference):

I absolutely love the new slimmer sleeves that just skim my wrists and the slight A-line changed the boxy shape into a flattering blouse! Bound to be one of my go-to tops for the spring <3

I decided to try out some styling to see how I might be wearing this top and came up with three different looks (though that is merely a fraction of the possibilities!):

Looks #1 and #3 are my favorite and how I'll wear this on an average day. I HAD to include the second look simply because my face makes me giggle ;). I definitely don't have many (read ANY) opportunities to rock look #2, but you never know...the husband and I could totally miraculously gain a night life and start going out dancing and such, right?! Well, here's hoping...

And one last look at the before and after:
Love it!
Hope this inspires you to take a second look at those granny tops when you're out thrifting! I'm addicted to a good granny refashion :)

Peace,
Andrea

11 comments:

  1. Firstly it's amazing what an iron can do. Great job at resizing as it can be difficult to get a good fit. If you can would also love to know what thrift stores you get your finds from and how much you paid as it all adds to the refashioning story. Oh and I like to find out about any difficulties experienced during the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was considering the same things after posting this, Karen. I want to do a piece on the thrift store I go to (just the one) and then start itemizing the things I pair my refashions with (as they are almost always thrifted and/or refashioned). Great feedback! I will also start throwing in a "fail" project now and then (as it does happen) and then a followup on it (because it is never a permanent fail!). I'll keep developing these kinds of things as I go, so keep me accountable ;)

      Delete
    2. Great Bowerbird minds think alike. Thank you for your reply and the update. I will continue to offer constructive feedback and I think you know it will be well intentioned. Caring, sharing and inspiring is the way to go.

      Delete
  2. I love shopping at thrift stores (my favorite is Goodwill, in Bellingham, Washington) I love what you did with the blouse, well done...
    I look forward to hearing more about your Thrift Store adventures and the process you go through to get them so they don't look so "old lady, granny" .....us poor old ladies have alot to answer for.....hee, hee:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Arlene! Aren't thrift stores the BEST?! I doubt I would classify you as an old lady, because I don't really classify any ladies that way :) Like I said, it is definitely a style classification. I feel like this blouse would be lovely on a woman of any age because I don't feel that it is too trendy or "young"...what do you think? I'd love to cover a variety of styles as I continue and will appreciate any feedback in regards to types of refashions/tailoring that my readers (of any age, gender, size, etc) would like to see! Hoping to use my husband as a guinea pig to do a month's worth of menswear refashions...again, thank you for your comment!

      Delete
  3. I love how you saw a lot of potential in the blouse. That color is amazing and the result is simply stunning. The blouse now looks so modern and chic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you ChiChi Loves!!! It was actually pretty amazing how much ironing this blouse changed it!!! Even without taking it in, it had almost completely transformed :) Should have taken a picture of that! Lovely comment, I appreciate it so much <3

      Delete
  4. I love the colour! It really suits you Andrea! The sleeve tweaks really made a difference, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great up-cycling! I'm soon going to be making over several silk blouses that were given to me, much too big for me. I'm going to make them into skirts I think. But I'm excited seeing what you did here. I love your final fit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Melanie, and I'd love to see how you do with your skirts!

      Delete